Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Nine Months, Maybe Eleven Days, and No Good Words

I say you don't have to forgive the hoi polloi,
they may not know any better, but still.
That second question comes out their mouth,
comes out with so much ferment.

Does it make you want to break their glassy eyes with your fists?
I imagine you using your fingers, reaching through their backs,
commanding them by the spine, and extracting their skeletons.
I am sorry your chest will always be sore.

I know there is a remembering smell we're always trying to avoid.
and I mean it happens when you
walk by, ride past, drum through, or maybe amble beside,
a certain house, establishment, or car even.

Please don't stay stagnant. 
Cause I keep seeing this kid's face.
And still, my favorite part about you?
You called yourself a dad.

No comments: